The following information is to help you look after your instrument. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further advice. If any damage occurs to your instrument please DO NOT attempt ‘D.I.Y.’ as instrument repair is a highly skilled job and you could easily worsen the situation.
1. Do not eat or drink directly before practise and make sure your hands are clean and dry before handling your saxophone.
2. When assembling your instrument avoid placing the saxophone mechanism under any undue stress. The mechanism is very delicate and can easily become bent. When fitting the saxophone together try to avoid contact with the key work. This is best done by lifting the saxophone from its case by the bell and holding the sax near the neck when locating the crook into its socket. Do not forget to tighten the crook screw.
3. Do not leave your instrument lying on the floor after or during practice. It is better to use an instrument stand to avoid accidental damage.
4. Always clean your instrument thoroughly after use. Avoid touching the pads when cleaning, as when damp, pads are more susceptive to damage. The use of a ‘pad saver’ is recommended to keep your instrument pads in good order. Clean your instrument outside with a specialised lacquer cloth or a clean non-abrasive soft cotton cloth.
5. Do not use metal polish of any kind.
6. Do not try to oil your instrument. If you encounter any problems a saxophone technician should look it at.
7. Do not put your instrument away without ensuring that the ‘stopper cap’ is in place at the crook socket – if you do, you risk damaging the octave mechanism.
8. NEVER attempt to adjust the settings on your saxophone. Regulating a saxophone correctly is a skill and bad jobs can easily worsen the situation.
9. Do not store your instrument against a source of heat such as a radiator for example, or leave your instrument in damp conditions.
10. As a general rule, have your instrument serviced by a technician once a year.
11. Enjoy your playing!
REMEMBER – if you need further advice, we are only a phone call away! 0161 445 4466